Search this Site
Using Greensand Brings the mineral
rich ocean to your garden
It is an all natural slow-releasing source of potassium
an essential nutrient required by plants contributing to their
overall hardiness and good health. It is used as both a soil amendment
and fertilizer, typical NPK is 0-0-3. and is one of the best certified
organic sources of potassium, OMRI listed for organic use.
Being derived from undersea mineral deposit in sandy rock or sediment
that were once part of the sea-bed, it has the consistency of sand but
is able to absorb 10 times more moisture making it an exceptional soil
conditioner. Not only is it a rich source of potassium but the naturally
occurring Iron-Potassium Silicate contains, magnesium, iron and silica
as well as many trace minerals that are important to plant health and
Green sand Uses
- Apply green-sand to enhance soil structure.
- Adding potassium rich green-sand to your garden helps to increase root growth of plants.
- Green sand can be added to the soil surface and allowed to slowly
perculate down into the garden or blended into the soil by spade, fork
- It improves plant health in general by making nutrients more available in whatever soil you have.
- Loosen’s heavy clay soils, the additional looseness of the soil will increase the supply of oxygen to the growing roots.
- Helps to improve the moisture retention of sandy soils, making them more drought tolerant.
Green-sand is often used in potting soil to provide a slow release
potassium and in time can improve soil structure. This is fine for potted plants that are permanent residence in those pots. However because this
source of potash is very slow release and is available to plants at
relatively small amounts at any one time it has limited use in potting
mixes for quick growing vegetable seedlings that spend very little time in seedling pots.
Buy Green sand
Greensand is easily distinguished from other fertilizers. This undersea mineral deposit is composed primarily of iron-potassium silicate causing it have a very striking bluish green color.
Green sand Application Rates
The recommended application rate is to broadcast:
- Light: 5 - 10 lbs. per 100 square feet (2.27 - 10.54 kg. per 9.3 square meters)
- Medium: 15 - 30 lbs. per 100 square feet (6.8 - 13.6 kg. per 9.3 square meters)
- Heavy: 40 - 80 lbs. per 100 square feet (18.0 - 36.29 kg. per 9.3 square meters)
Home Page - Site Map - Top of Greensand Page - Organic garden fertilizer